Children Youth and Families Services Development
In March 2002 Hillingdon Association of Voluntary Services created the role of Children, Youth and Families Manager. HAVS was one of the first Councils for Voluntary Service to have a project dedicated to the development of the children's voluntary sector. Where Hillingdon led the way, others have followed.
Of the many successes of the project over the last 12 years, the following are key:
- 2002 - A new voluntary sector Children's Forum began and ran until 2011 when it developed into a Network
- 2002 and ongoing - Relationships with statutory partners were developed leading to information sharing between both sectors
- 2002 and ongoing - Voluntary sector involvement and representation in children, youth and families strategic partnerships were developed and mainained and continue to evolve
- 2003 - Child protection training delivered to voluntary groups for the first time
- 2007 - As more voluntary organisations had technology available to them, a successful e-circulation system was developed, resulting in more information being shared from strategic partners and between voluntary groups
- 2008 - A major academic dissertation showed that, compared to some other surveys, Hillingdon's voluntary sector is well informed and has good procedures in place to safeguard children
- 2009 - Written feedback is given to voluntary groups from every meeting of the Hillingdon Children and Families Trust and the Hillingdon Local Safeguarding Children Board (and continues)
- 2011 - Recognising the difficult financial climate for the voluntary sector the forum ceased to meet, but combining the forum alongside developing the e-circulation system further, a Children, Youth and Families Network emerged enabling wider involvement.
- 2012 - Safeguarding and Child protection training goes from strength to strength with numbers being trained by HAVS reaching 100's annually
- 2013 - Working with the local authority commissioning team, processes and procedures for the commissioning of the voluntary sector in children's services is now more clear and open, leading to emerging new opportunities.
- 2013 - Work with Mosques and Madrassas to develop their practice and confidence in safeguarding children
The original post holder appointed to run the project is still in post 12 years later and the project continues from strength to strength.
- How can the project help your voluntary organisation or community group?
- Safeguarding Children
- Project successes in the last year
Using the links below, you will find a number of electronic resources that could help your organisation in a number of areas such as evidence gathering for a funding application. If you can't find what you need, please contact the Children, Youth and Families Manager who will try to locate further information.
For more details or if you want to get involved in any of the above, please contact HAVS on 01895 442929 or email@example.com